The trail to the Somasss Estuary begins on the bank of the Somass River. It by-passes privately owned poplar lands until it reaches a gate which marks the boundary of the conservation property owned by Ducks Unlimited. At this point, the trail turns inland, following an old berm with views across the fields and a large tidal marsh. It ends at the water pipeline which runs from Sproat Lake to the Catalyst Papermill on the opposite side of the river.
The Somass Estuary is a nature reserve; please do everything in your power to avoid undue disturbance of birds including keepings dogs under control. Bird watching is best in the winter when the estuary serves as a major wintering area for ducks, and in the spring when many neotropical migrants pass through.
Interestingly, parts of the Ducks Unlimited lands are still used to raise hay. This continues a farming tradition on this Vancouver Island estuary which dates back to 1850 when Charles Taylor established the first farm in the Alberni Valley.